Re: TAB-completion and filesystem problem

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:16:05PM -0700, C. J. wrote:

> >>I think this is a lame 'feature' of tcsh.
> >>If you start your cmdline with 'cp' or 'mv',
> >>it refuses to tab-complete the 2nd argument,
> >>maybe to prevent you from accidently overwriting
> >>a file by forcing you to type the full name.
> >>I wish there was a way to disable this.
> >
> >There is.  Reading /etc/cshrc.* and especially 'man tcsh' could help.
>
> Arrgh, I hate digging through man pages to fix stuff that was working fine
> for years.  OK, for all those out there having problems with this:
> you need to go to /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh and '#' comment out the lines
>
> for 'complete mv' and 'complete cp'.

Oh boy.  Did you see the following two lines in /etc/csh.cshrc:

# If we find $HOME/.{t}cshrc we skip our settings used for interactive sessions.
if (-r "$HOME/.cshrc" || -r "$HOME/.tcshrc") goto end

Probably not.  Btw., *my* ~/.cshrc file contains a line

uncomplete *

which has the surprisingly effect that I don't have to change the
files from the distro...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.