Accessing filenames with different charsets

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it in the
archive nor in the FAQ...

If I have a file name with Russian characters in it, cygwin is unable to
access it:

> ls
????.TEST

(Russian characters are shown as '?' in directory listing, but ls does find
the file).

If I try to access it, however, open fails:

> touch *
touch: '????.TEST': no such file or directory

same deal with less, cp, rm, rsync etc.

On NT4 and W2k, the same happens even with the euro character ('¤') - on XP
it works, but russian chars (among other, I guess) fail. On XP I have the
newest cygwin.dll, so that can make difference as well.

BTW: dir /x show an interesting short name for the file: F305~1.TES, cygpath
-w -s doesn't shown anything.

So is it possible to access these files (I'd like to be able to backup the
workstation via cygwin tools), or is the problem fundamental?

-- v --

v@iki.fi