Changing from textmode to binmode mounting

For some reason, my Win2000 machine has everything mounted in
textmode, although my WinNT machine correctly mounts in binmode.  In
textmode, my fetchmail spool file is unreadable by MH and other mail
utilities?

Can someone tell me how to switch from textmode to binmode?  I tried
the command

    mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix cygdrive

as suggested in the faq, but it seemed to have no effect.  I also
mucked with the registry to add fbinary = 1 to all the mount points,
but *that* also had no effect.

Any clues here?

Thanks,

-pd