Re: Changing from textmode to binmode mounting

David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> writes:

> On  1 Jul 02, Peter Davis writes:
> >
> > For some reason, my Win2000 machine has everything mounted in
> > textmode, although my WinNT machine correctly mounts in binmode.  In
> > textmode, my fetchmail spool file is unreadable by MH and other mail
> > utilities?
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to switch from textmode to binmode?  I tried
> > the command
> >
> >     mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix cygdrive
> >
> > as suggested in the faq, but it seemed to have no effect.
>
> You say "everything" is mounted in textmode, but that command will
> only change the cygdrive mounts.  Also user mounts will override
> system mounts (or vice versa?).  This can be confusing if you change
> the system mount but the user mount hides the change (or vice versa?).

Here's what I have:

$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (textmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (textmode)
C:\cygwin on / type user (textmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (textmode,noumount)
m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
q: on /cygdrive/q type user (textmode,noumount)
r: on /cygdrive/r type user (textmode,noumount)

I've tried

    mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix cygdrive
    mount: cygdrive: Invalid argument

I also tried

    mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive
    mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygwin

No messages, but nothing changes.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------