Re: Changing from textmode to binmode mounting

Patrick Eisenacher <eisenacher@fillmore-labs.com> wrote:
> here is how I did it:
>
> Go to to cygwin\bin directory and run the following command from a
> Windows shell:
>
>    mount -bs --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive

Thanks, Patrick.  Unfortunately, this only seems to work on some of
the mounts.  I also followed the suggestion of doing 'mount -m',
modifying all those commands to use -b, and issuing the commands.
Again, that switch some of the partitions to binmode, but not all:

C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (textmode,noumount)
m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
q: on /cygdrive/q type user (textmode,noumount)
r: on /cygdrive/r type user (textmode,noumount)

The last five are still textmode.  I think these are mounted by Cygwin
somewhere at the start of time, and I can't find out how to override
or change that mounting.

Any clues, anyone?

Thanks,

-pd

> > David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> writes:

> > > You say "everything" is mounted in textmode, but that command will
> > > only change the cygdrive mounts.  Also user mounts will override
> > > system mounts (or vice versa?).  This can be confusing if you change
> > > the system mount but the user mount hides the change (or vice versa?).
> >
> > Here's what I have:
> >
> > $ mount
> > C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (textmode)
> > C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (textmode)
> > C:\cygwin on / type user (textmode)
> > c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
> > d: on /cygdrive/d type user (textmode,noumount)
> > m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
> > q: on /cygdrive/q type user (textmode,noumount)
> > r: on /cygdrive/r type user (textmode,noumount)
> >
> > I've tried
> >
> >     mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix cygdrive
> >     mount: cygdrive: Invalid argument
> >
> > I also tried
> >
> >     mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive
> >     mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygwin
> >

> > No messages, but nothing changes.  Am I missing something?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > -pd
> --

--------
    Peter Davis                               Pageflex Inc
    617-520-8345                          215 First Street
    617-868-0784 (FAX)                 Cambridge, MA 02142
    pdavis@pageflexinc.com      http://www.pageflexinc.com