WinME crash runnin Cygwin and web browser

I am running Cygwin under WinME on a rather nonstandard kind of
setup--Connectix Virtual PC V4.0.x under MacOS 9.2.2. This Cygwin
installation was performed using Setup v2.218 on or around May 24.

All seems to go well until I try to run a Cygwin window and a Web browser
(either Netscape V4.7 or IE V5.x) at the same time. At that point I start
getting BSODs from WinME. (I'm away from that system right now and can't
reproduce the error messages.) Sometimes these are nonfatal enough that I
can shut down Windows semi-gracefully, but more often it hangs and I have to
use Virtual PC to intervene--rather like turning off the power on an actual
PC.

It might be helpful to know that I have Virtual PC set to share the same IP
address as MacOS. Then again, it might not be helpful at all...

You're welcome to tell me that I belong in a rubber room for running on
Virtual PC, let alone a Mac. Let's just say I'm no stranger to such
comments.   So I like to live life on the edge...   :-)

But maybe someone will have something more constructive to say?