Problem installing cygwin 1.3.11-3

I am using the "install now" link on the cygwin.com home page.  It downloads
the setup.exe, and it executes.  I to a typical install (I don't change any
of the packages, etc).  But at the very end, I get an error message saying
that the cygwin1.dll cannot be found on the path [long path listed].  I
search for the cygwin1.dll, and it does not exist anywhere.

1) Isn't setup.exe supposed to install cygwin1.dll?
2) If not, where do I get it?

I searched the faq, and tried to search the mailing lists (but the search
engine appeared to just hang).  I did not see anything obvious.

thanks in advance for your help,
-Mark