Re: Accessing filenames with different charsets

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:50:31PM +0100, you [Chris January] wrote:
> Qt (from Trolltech) encodes Unicode filenames before they are used. In
> Cygwin we could do the reverse, i.e. use Find*FileW and then encode the
> Unicode as a local ANSI string. If we do the encoding manually in Cygwin,
> rather than let Windows do it for us, this would overcome the problem. I
> will try to put together a patch for this that you can test. One possibility
> is to encode Unicode strings as UTF-8.

It sounds complicated, but if you are really willing to make a patch, I will
certainly test it.

This might be a good chance to take care of the over 255 char long filenames
that ISTR are only accessible via Find*FileW and the (ugly) \\.\ hack. I
recall once having tried to access such a beast via cygwin, but it failed
(most propably for the same reason as the differing charset ones.)

-- v --

v@iki.fi