GNU_configure error under Cygwin

[This is a restatement of a post I made ealier today
-- entitled "'configure' doesn't know my machine, I
think." I'm afraid that the post, as written, appeared
to be off-topic.]

Background: I'm trying to build the GNU tools on my
W2K machine and configure them so that I can do some
embedded development for an ARM target. I'm building
the GNU toolchain from within the Cygwin 1.3.11-3
environment. My installation of Cygwin is basically
the default configuration. I am following a procedure
as set out here
http://billgatliff.com/articles/gnu/gnu-arm7t.html/index.html

I'm getting an error when I attempt to configure and
install the assembler and linker that are part of
GNU's binutils package. The command issued is:

$ ../binutils-2.11.2/configure --target=$TARGET
--prefix=$PREFIX

and the error:

"Can only configure for one host and one target at a
time."

I've set the value of TARGET (arm-elf) and PREFIX (my
install dir), and I assume that configure would
normally be able to sort out the host. (Other
followers of this procedure have had no problems on
their UNIX machines.) So, it appears to me that
somehow Cygwin is not behaving like a perfect
emulation of UNIX (not that it can). Does anyone know
what the issue is here? Should I be posting to a GNU
list?

Motivus