Re: Re[2]: Accessing filenames with different charsets

> Chris,
>
> Is this going to be an NT-only solution or a global solution.  I only ask
> because there exists a redistibutable dll from microsoft which allows for
> Unicode support on Win9X/ME.  Any chance that this functionality might be
> included in Cygwin?  I suppose the w32api people would have to transform
> the .lib file that comes in the SDK to a unixy library, but other then
> that, it should be possible.  Then you could tell people who run on such
> platforms to go to the site and download the dll if they want the unicode
> support.  Or better yet, since redistribution is allowed, have setup.exe
> install it on demand.  I'm not too familiar with Unicode in general, so if
> your solution can be implimented on Win9X/ME w/o the extra MS Library,
> then forgive me for mentioning it.  Otherwise, I hope you will explore
> this avenue.
>
> The specific url is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win9x/unila
yer_4wj7.asp
What my patch basically does is convert Unicode filenames to UTF8 and back
again. If you filesystem doesn't support Unicode filenames, you will have no
use for this patch. This patch may well add Unicode APIs to Win9x/Me, but it
doesn't add Unicode support to VFAT as well, so it won't be much use.
Just to add, there is nothing to stop you using UTF8 filenames under
Win9x/Me. Applications written to support UTF8 should work find under
Win9x/Me. The patch is to allow conversion of said UTF8 filenames to Windows
native Unicode filenames on Windows NT systems and vice-versa.

Chris