cygwin1.dll could not be found -> bzip2 libraries should not be optional?

Today I downloaded the latest version of the cygwin setup program and ran it on Windows 2000 Pro SP2. I chose to install the default packages from the internet. This looked like everything was going fine until the very end when the following popup error message appeared...

"sh.exe - Unable To Locate DLL : The dynamic link library cygwin1.dll could not be found in the specified path..."

I could not find cygwin1.dll anywhere on my machine - it appears it had not been downloaded or at least not unpacked.

I looked at setup.log and noticed there were a lot of the following error messages: "compress_bz::error called".

I ran the whole thing again, but this time chose to install the bzip2 shared libraries (which are NOT included by default).

This time everything worked like a dream. So to me it looks like the bzip2 shared libraries are not optional. Does this make sense?

James Mead.