Cygwin "find" stopping before done...?

To generate a list of all files on my e: partition:

	find e:/ -type f >c:/backups/filenames/edrive-files

However, this "find" command consistently stops before even
starting to read the final directory (462 MB large, with
19,000 files).  When I use the MKS version of the find command
it reads this directory along with the others with no problem.

I had earlier had a problem with "grep foobar *" under
Cygwin (but again, not with MKS) and it turned out to be an
understandable and known limitation easily resolvable by using
"xargs" (see below).  And in the case of grep, I was warned by
an error message of the problem with grep.

In the case of "find", the command line itself is not (I
should think) expanding into something too big to process,
but I was assuming that find was in fact designed to plow
through long directory trees.  Even if this is not the case,
it's not clear to me how xargs could provide a workaround here.

This problem with "find" seems particularly insidious because
it executes and exits with no error message so I naturally
assume it has completed its work successfully -- even when
this is not the case.  Since in other contexts I rely on
"find" to help back up my data files, the consequences of
an undetected error such as the one described above could be
disastrously disruptive to my work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                Thomas.Baker@bi.fhg.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784