Re: access port 127.0.0.1:1052

"Alex Chan" <alexchan@amazingmedia.com> wrote:
> I used strace on some of the commands which were causing
> port 1052 to be accessed and noticed the socket
> /tmp/cygdaemo being opened in each case.
>
> "cat /tmp/cygdaemo" showed:
>
> !<socket >1052 3A1B9DA0-BC44411F-44B9E117-1AA41C07
>
> (note the 1052)
>
> after "rm /tmp/cygdaemo" the behavior went away.
> (I hope it wasn't important.)
>
> Thanks everyone for your help in figuring this one out!

This is the Unix domain socket that the (new) cygserver uses on win
9x/Me systems.  It shouldn't get created unless you run cygserver
itself. but having once run it the socket is left lying around in the
current implementation until you manually remove it.  One side-effect
of not removing it is that every program you run will try to connect
to the (probably non-existent) daemon process and thus you'll get a
second or so delay per process.

A few points:

*) Why is this socket being created?  Can people who saw this
behaviour confirm that they did / didn't run cygserver explicitly?

*) If you're not using cygserver (and you probably aren't), find and
eliminate the /tmp/cygdaemo file if you're running on win9x/Me.

*) The interaction with ZoneAlarm (and probably other such firewalls)
is an utter PITA. If anyone can provide some hints on a setup for any
of these firewalls to shut them up, I would be grateful. Otherwise,
running cygserver (as and when it becomes fully available) will be
very tiresome on win9x/Me systems.

*) This is only a win9x/Me issue: the daemon uses (win32) named pipes
on NT systems.

I hope this helps and my apologies to the confusion this has caused.

// Conrad