Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.3.12-1

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 04:09:03PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:52:12PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 07:56:48PM +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> >> Corrinna,
> >
> >Almost...
> >
> >> On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> My reading of it is that the passwd file is read, but HOME is not set
> >> because it thinks it is already set!
> >
> >Looks like a bug in Cygwin which happens on changing user context.
>
> FWIW, running strace from a cron job isn't necessarily going to do the
> right thing.  strace introduces a barrier between information presented
> by crond and (in this case) /bin/echo.  It makes /bin/echo think it's
> running in a raw windows environment rather than a cygwin environment.
>
> It might be more interesting to run strace on cron itself (if that's
> even possible) and then inspect the results.

I did so.  It took a while to understand but it's actually a bug
in the Cygwin version of cron.  I wondered why the same effect
doesn't happen on Linux but the big difference between the official
source and the Cygwin source of cron is the initialization of the
environment.  I'll fix that and release a new version soon.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.