Re: Shaolin Secure FTP v0.98 Beta 3

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Joseph S. Testa wrote:

> Shaolin Secure FTP v0.98 Beta 3
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Comments and suggestions are encouraged.

Primarily, I would suggest you stop including in your distribution the
copyrighted cygwin1.dll and mount.exe binaries without their source, which
is a violation of the GPL. (I am assuming you did not purchase a
commercial license from Red Hat). Moreover, having multiple copies of
cygwin1.dll is almost certain to cause problems. See:

http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC51

I am particularly puzzled that you felt the need to include
cygwin1.dll and mount.exe since you require a pre-existing Cygwin
installation with OpenSSH. Wouldn't it be better to get the location
of /usr/bin information from the Registry (or better yet, allow the
user to specify the location of sftp.exe)?

I appreciate the work that has gone into this and it is easier to use
than command-line sftp. But I doubt I will continue to use it in its
current incarnation. I have had several problems, described below.

FYI, I am using CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.3.11s(0.52/3/2) 20020502. And the
first thing I did upon installing it was delete the extra cygwin1.dll,
but I don't think that should be relevant to the problems I
experienced since this is not a Cygwin application.

I cannot open "special" local directories such as Program Files or
Documents. Since I want to do all my sftp'ing here, it isn't suitable
for my purposes. Also, the "Saved Sessions" feature appears
non-functional. And I wish it had told me before I opened up the
Connect dialog in the middle of the download that it would
automatically terminate my current download.

Thanks for your work. I wish you luck in improving it.
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin