Re: Shaolin Secure FTP v0.98 Beta 3

> Primarily, I would suggest you stop including in your distribution the
> copyrighted cygwin1.dll and mount.exe binaries without their source, which
> is a violation of the GPL. (I am assuming you did not purchase a
> commercial license from Red Hat).

That's funny.  I made that same mistake a year ago:

I didn't mean to violate the GPL (again).  I'll repackage it tonight.

> Moreover, having multiple copies of
> cygwin1.dll is almost certain to cause problems.
>
> I am particularly puzzled that you felt the need to include
> cygwin1.dll and mount.exe since you require a pre-existing Cygwin
> installation with OpenSSH. Wouldn't it be better to get the location
> of /usr/bin information from the Registry (or better yet, allow the
> user to specify the location of sftp.exe)?

Shaolin is supposed to be a fully-packaged, ready-to-go piece of
software.  The other releases included OpenSSH, Cygwin, and everything
else needed.

However, since restarting development on it recently, I've ran into
some issues with doing that, so for now, its only meant to be used by
Cygwin users.  Since all the underlying framework still expects there
to be no pre-installed Cygwin, I had to at least include cygwin1.dll
and mount.exe just to make things happy.

Everything will be OK by v1.0.

> I appreciate the work that has gone into this and it is easier to use
> than command-line sftp. But I doubt I will continue to use it in its
> current incarnation. I have had several problems, described below.
>
> FYI, I am using CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.3.11s(0.52/3/2) 20020502. And the
> first thing I did upon installing it was delete the extra cygwin1.dll,
> but I don't think that should be relevant to the problems I
> experienced since this is not a Cygwin application.
>
> I cannot open "special" local directories such as Program Files or
> Documents.

Hrm... what OS are you using?  Everything works fine on XP Home Edition,
as far as I can tell.

> Also, the "Saved Sessions" feature appears
> non-functional.

I included that in the UI just so I wouldn't forget about it.  That's
going to be a v1.0 feature.

> And I wish it had told me before I opened up the
> Connect dialog in the middle of the download that it would
> automatically terminate my current download.

Huh?  What's going on?

> Thanks for your work. I wish you luck in improving it.

Why, thank you.  And just so you know, I've automatically signed you
up for my 'Shaolin-announce' mailing list!  Heh... just kidding.  =P

    - Joe

"Those who desire to give up Freedom
in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one."

                       -- Thomas Jefferson