Re: Compiling with Borland's bcc32... more simply stated

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 06:45:46PM -0700, Motivus wrote:
>Hi.  I posted this question on Friday but got no response...  hoping
>it's because I was not concise enough.
>
>I'll boil my question down to this:
>
>Is there any problem using Borland's C++ Builder command line tools
>under Cygwin 1.3.11-3?  I'm trying to build the GNU tools on my W2K
>machine and configure them so that I can do some embedded development
>for an ARM target.  This is the error I get when I attempt to build
>'binutils' and the Make file specifies CC=bcc32:
>
>"Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32
>Error E2194: Could not find file 'conftest.cpp'
>conftest.c:
>*** The command 'bcc32 -o conftest -g conftest.c'
>failed."
>
>Why is it looking for a file with a .cpp extension when the command
>issued clearly specifies a .c file?

I suspect that the reason you didn't receive any replies is that your
question doesn't make much sense.  The whole point of cygwin is to
provide an environment for building GNU tools without reliance of
proprietary programs like those provided by Borland's.  It is extremely
unlikely that you'll be able to use Borland's compiler to build GNU
tools for an ARM target.

Just install gcc, like the rest of the Cygwin world, and use that.
Rerun setup.exe (from Install Cygwin Now!), click on the plus sign next
to "Devel" and then select gcc and any other tools you need.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .