Re: Window that does not scroll

Dantin,

If you're using Windows NT, 2000 or XP Professional, the "Properties" dialog for a character subsystem window such as that used by default for a Cygwin shell contains a tab ("Layout") that sets the size of the content area and of the visible area.

If you're not using one of these versions of Windows: a) You should be; b) There is an extension of some sort that provides smarter character subsystem windows than those ordinarily supported on windows '98 or Me. I know nothing about it except that it exists. Someone else here can tell you if they notice this or if you ask specifically about it.

By the way, I'm not sure which category XP Home Edition fits into.

If you use RXVT, then the invocation options control scrollback. The "-sl" option controls how many lines are in the scrollback buffer.

I recommend setting up a Windows shortcut that invokes your preferred style of window (Windows character subsystem--a.k.a. "consol"-- or RXVT) with options configured as you like them (there are many more beside window geometry and scrollback capacity).

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA