gcc-3.1.x [was: Re: Using only the X server of Cygwin]

[follow up to the cygwin list; this is getting off-topic for cygwin-xfree.]

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Hey, Nicholas -- don't squish Rhialto that quickly. He's probably one of our new users who knows nothing about the cygwin project except what he read on slashdot this morning.

I am still cranky about the refusal to include objc in cygwin/gcc-3.1.

Look, now is NOT the time for objc. It's too early.

gcc-3.1.x is a MAJOR change from 2.95.3. Let's make sure the transition hasn't broken the frontends we CURRENTLY have, before we worry about adding more frontends.

(IMO, this holds for java/libgcj, too)

gcc-2.95.3:
provides gcc,g++, and g77. gcc works in -mno-cygwin mode and "regular" mode. g++ doesn't really work in -mno-cygwin mode, but it does work in "regular" mode, with certain threading and exception caveats. g77 is "regular" only.

gcc-3.1.x:
Let's insure that cygwin's gcc-3.1.x still works in "regular" and "-mno-cygwin" mode. Ditto g++ (and since cgf already made changes to enable better -mno-cygwin operation in g++, let's verify that, too). Does g77 still work?

The spec file has been totally rewritten. Can we still build DLLs? Does auto-import still work (technically a binutils issue, but that's been upgraded for the first time in eight months just now, too).

How about exceptions and threading? Supposedly those are better behaved now -- is it true? What about raising exceptions from within DLLs -- cgf hinted that this probably won't work; also there's a recent binutils patch from Egor that should help with that issue but it hasn't yet been accepted b/c egor needs to fill out the assignment paperwork for FSF...PLUS egor has a cygwin kernel patch that USES his binutils patch...

My point: there's a LOT to do right now, with just gcc and g++. Let's not borrow ObjC/Ada/Java trouble just yet.

Good grief, the first test release of cygwin-gcc-3.1 was ONLY released less than 24 hours ago. !! Test what we HAVE, before piling on with feature requests !!

Boy, I'll bet cgf now knows what Linus feels like the day after a kernel "freeze" is announced...

--Chuck

P.S. follow up to the cygwin list; this is getting off-topic for cygwin-xfree.