Re: sporadic errors from tar

Just a follow-up to the attached with
further details.  Contrary to what I said,
rebooting doesn't help (though it did
at one point).  Other odd behaviour
is that "gunzip --help" and "gzip --help"
seem to send the help information all
over the screen, as if there were weird
tabs randomly thrown.  Strangely, the
help info looks OK if I pipe it through