'man' and Funny Characters

I just "upgraded" some packages which became available within the last
week, and I don't know if this problem existed before, but I've
certainly never seen it with the man pages I've used.

A number of the man pages now display funny characters in Bash on WinXP.
'man man' or 'man xsltproc' (to name a few) display incomprehensible
pages, notable for their numerous highlighted ^@ characters.

After quitting man in such cases, I get the messages

	gzip: /usr/man/cat1/man.1.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
	gzip: /usr/man/cat1/man.1.gz: invalid compressed data--length
error

OTOH, 'man ls' (for example) displays just fine and I get no such
messages.

Any ideas?  I've checked the FAQ and Google, but found nothing of help.
Thanks,

/Jelks