The way I search the User Guide or API document is by using "egrep -l" on the HTML files then opening the files with hits in my browser. I do it so infrequently I have not tried to script it, but it would not be difficult.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 21:57 2002-07-08, Shing-Fat Fred Ma wrote:
Just a follow-up to the attached with further details. Contrary to what I said, rebooting doesn't help (though it did at one point). Other odd behaviour is that "gunzip --help" and "gzip --help" seem to send the help information all over the screen, as if there were weird tabs randomly thrown. Strangely, the help info looks OK if I pipe it through "less". Also, "tar --help" does not give this crazy formatting.

I hope I don't have to upgrade cygwin. Now's not the greatest time....

Fred

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: sporadic errors from tar
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 00:42:29 -0400
From: Shing-Fat Fred Ma <fma@doe.carleton.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com

Hello,

I'm using cygwin on WinME, installed Nov 11/2001, or such is the timestamp on /setup.log. In that file, I have thelines

Starting cygwin install, version 2.78.2.15

and

Installing...latest/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.4-4.tar.bz2

I'm hoping I can solve the problem without upating my cygwin at the moment, as it's not the greatest time right now.

The problem is when I use tar:

tar cvhzf safe/Paper.33.tgz `tar tzf safe/Paper.32.tgz`

I'm getting the file names from Paper.32.tgz and archiving all those files to Paper.33.tgz.

It works usually. Sometimes, I get the error

tar: Child died with signal 13

But after these errors, the archive gets created anyway. Once these errors start, they don't go away no matter how many times I issue the command, regardless of whether I start up another cygwin window. From brief experiment, it seems to go away if I reboot the computer.

I also get the errors if I simply try

tar tzf safe/Paper.22.tgz | cat

but not if I leave out the redirection to cat.

I've tried the mailing list search, but the engine died during one of the refinements.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fred

P.S. Is there a way to search the User Manual?