multiple errors with man

Hi,
Someone has already mentioned funny characters in man on the mailing list, and I encountered it as well. Example:

$ man sdiff

gzip: /usr/man/cat1/sdiff.1.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: /usr/man/cat1/sdiff.1.gz: invalid compressed data--length error

Some man pages work flawlessly, some crap out with these messages and others, and others work without errors, but they're unreadable as well. I've been getting these errors under cmd.exe, sh and bash. Is there any workaround or new feature that solves this, or do the man pages themselves need fixing?

Thanks,

Daniel