Sincere Apology for Misreport of Crash

John, you hit me right on the point in your second piece of advice. I am
deeply ashamed.

Now Cygwin 1.3.12-2 runs perfectly on my Windows 2000 box, and the inetd
problem is gone too (setting the registry key works). The crash problem
seemed to be caused by my placing duplicates of (old versions of)
cygwin1.dll in /usr/local/bin and /usr/sbin so that I can start inetd
and some other services without placing a cygwin1.dll in the path. This
method still works as long as I put the same version of cygwin1.dll in all
three places.

Thanks go to John, and apology goes to Christopher and all in this list.
Sorry for giving the wrong information.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei

--- Original Message from John Vincent ---

Hi,

Since you've had so much trouble trying to upgrade
your cygwin installation, can I suggest a couple of
points:

1. Make sure **NO** cygwin processes are running when
you try to install. You must stop inetd and cron, close
any bash or rxvt sessions, etc. Otherwise the installation
process may not update the DLL when you think it has.

2. Make sure you don't have more than one version of
cygwin1.dll installed. Some windows packages install
a version of the DLL without telling you, so search
your whole hard disk for any other copies, delete
any you find.

I hope these suggestions are useful.

John Vincent