Re: running mks toolkit and cygwin on same machine

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:35:09PM +0000, Paul Coltrin wrote:
> >From my limited experience, they seem to co-exist reasonably well.
> But it depends on what you need to do.  Unless it has changed very
> recently, the Cygwin installer does not contain a ksh.  I have
> downloaded and installed the ATT ksh into my Cygwin installation but
> I am finding that converting scripts from MKS ksh to Cygwin/ATT ksh
> is not trivial.

After installing Cygwin on a WIN2000 system with an existing
MKS installation, the two installations seemed to "lock horns".

I was able to establish peace by removing the MKS-related
environment variables from the system configuration (Start ->
Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment
Variables) and moving them into profile.ksh.  Specifically:

	MKS_TK_PATH_BACK
	NUTCROOT
	ROOTDIR
	SHELL
	TERM (value had been "nutc")
	TERMCAP (value had been "E:\MKS\etc\termcap")
	TERMINFO (value had been "E:\MKS\usr\lib\terminfo")

In particular, the TERM* values seemed to be causing of alot
of the problems; Cygwin likes TERM=cygwin.

I also installed the ATT ksh -- there was a thread about this
two or three weeks ago -- but understand that a KSH package
for the standard Cygwin setup is on the way.  Have also had
some small problems porting scripts, one of which being that
"egrep" must always be changed to "grep -E".

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                Thomas.Baker@bi.fhg.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784