"setuid xxxx: Permission denied" with new openssh

A recent upgarde of openssh has broken incoming ssh service.  When I
debug the sshd, I see the error below in the Event Viewer (which is a
very inconvient way to view log files -- is there any way to get the
sshd service to put out to a file?)

My guess is that there is some file permissions problem, but even with
LogLevel DEBUG3, I cannot get sshd to tell me what file lacks the
proper permissions.

When I stop the service and run "sshd -d" from a bash shell (I am the
Administrator and only user of this machine; in /etc/passwd I have
userid 1006), I can ssh in to the machine normally.

Any advice will be appreciated.

openssh-3.4p1-4
Windows XP Home

I am *not* using privilege separation, but mostly default configuration of sshd
otherwise (just protocol 2, suppress motd, etc.)

The same version of openssh with the same sshd_config file works OK on
a different Win2k machine I have and use in a similar way.  The file
permissions on particular files or directories may be different of course.

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	sshd
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	0