Re: The Empire Strikes Back...sorta

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:35:51PM -0400, Max wrote:
>The only thing that looks remotely interesting is the POSIX compliant
>subsystem, which Cygwin is developing at, in my opinion, a very fast
>rate ...  in my opinion ..  I think Cygwin will be much more
>feature-rich and stable than SFU will ever be ....  I tried an early
>version of the UNIX services for Windows on NT 4 ...  and they were
>awful ...  that same year there was a port of IE 4 for Solaris ...
>awful as well!

Thanks for the compliment but, just to be clear, a POSIX compliant
subsystem stands a better chance of being more feature rich and
(especially) faster than cygwin.  A subsystem has access to more
low level features of the kernel.  So it can do things like properly
fork or properly handle a case sensitive file system.

I never actually heard anyone say that Interix was bad before.  I always
thought it was probably a pretty good product.  The guys working on
it are certainly sharp.

Hmm.  I have an unopened copy of Interix from a couple of years ago
sitting on my desk.  I wonder if Microsoft will upgrade me.

cgf