Re: another cygwin using program...

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 06:02:55AM +0000, Gareth Pearce wrote:

>>> cygwin1.dll source to be specific
>>
>>Sorry. That wasn't clear.
>>
>>> I did indeed find the source to identd in the obvious place.
>>
>>Yep. And they point to Cygwin, but thier alternate site for Cygwin has the
>>old B20 version. Will thier code build against the current version of the
>>DLL? If not, they aren't in compliance with the GPL.
>>

>previous mailing list discussions on this topic state that if they
>distribute the cygwin1.dll, they have to distribute the source code for that
>
>particular version.

You are correct, sir.

>So either way its a violation. (ie linking isnt good enough, according to
>previous discussions) - I am still in digital unix at uni so i have no idea
>if it compiles with current cygwin, anyway.
>
>But, it was a headsup, not a 'i am deeply concerned about this' or I would
>of emailed the person responsible for the web site in the first place. If i
>was one of the cygwin developers, maybe i would feel differently, but as a
>user headsup is enough from me.

Yep. I wouldn't want to subject a user to the pain of sending this kind of
email. Seriously. It's never fun.

I'll probably send something off as soon as I can ensure that my spirit is
pure and my will is strong.

Thanks for the heads up. It is appreciated. Keem em coming.

cgf
<sarcasm off>
lol

always a great wit there - the bridge one earlier had the office and the mud laughing :)

but 'seriously' i just dont care enough to send one onwards to the person. But, I think it is just wrong, to not let the people who Might care, know.

Wierd point of view, yes
but thats me.

<sarcasm back on>

Gareth - seriously going to start work on a new release of nano any day now