Problems with setup.exe

Hi all,
I have a problem with setup.exe 2.249.2.5
Symptoms: If I download first and then Install from local directory,
setup dies with an access violation at address 0x77f64d8a.

I tried to install directly from the Internet, setup hangs during
execution of /etc/postinstall/iu-config.sh, CPU load goes towards
100%. It is an update of an older version, so in general there is
no need to run it at all. I then set inetutils to "Skip", but the
same thing now happens with /etc/postinstall/XFree-xserv.sh.
Looks like running shell scripts from setup does not work.
Final attempt was just to update binutils and cygwin, directly from
Internet. Setup dies with access violation at address 0x77f64d8a.

It looks, however, as if most the files were installed correctly, uname -a
says now
1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16

Any ideas?

Ciao
Tom

Thomas Demmer
Kraft Foods R&D Munich
Phone: +49 89 62738-6302
Fax:      +49 89 62738-86302

Thought of the Day:
ARIES (Mar 21 - Apr 19)
        You are the pioneer type and hold most people in contempt.  You
        are quick tempered, impatient, and scornful of advice.  You are
        not very nice.