cygwin1.dll 1.3.12-2 and attempt to install xfree

Hi all,

I'm trying to install xfree and I'm getting strange error messages/results before the install starts.

I've downloaded and installed the most current cygwin bits (as of 7/9/02), and downloaded the must current
xfree bits. When I try to gunzip extract.exe.gz I get the error message :
gunzip: extract.exe.gz: Invalid arguement
When I look in the dir, the gunzipped file is there, with a permission of rw------- .

When I try and run the Xinstall it tells me:

checking which OS you're running...
uname reports 'CYGWIN_NT-5.0' version '1.3.12(0.54/3/2)' architecture 'i686'.

chmod: changing permissions of 'extract': no such file or directory
./extract: not found
extract doesn't work properly, renaming it to 'extract.bad'
mv: preserving times for 'extract.bad' : No such file or directory
mv: preserving ownership for 'extract.bad': No such file or directory
mv: cannot unlink 'extract': No such file or directory
mv: cannot remove 'extract': No such file or directory
chmod: changing permissions of 'extract': no such file or directory
./extract: not found
extract.exe doesn't work properly, renaming it to 'extract.exe.bad'

The versions of 'extract" and 'extract.exe' you have do not run
correctly. Make sure that you have downloaded the correct
binaries for your system. To find out which is correct,
run 'sh ./Xinstall.sh -check'.

This appears to me to be a problem with the setup of cygwin rather than a
problem with xfree, which is why I've mailed to this list. I've checked the archives
and either no one else has had this problem, or I've searched for the wrong key words.

Any pointers to resolving this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Ballantine