RE: cygwin.bat suggestions

> From: Jon LaBadie [mailto:jcyg@jgcomp.com]
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:06:09PM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> > On Tuesday 9 Jul 02, Dantin writes:
> > >       How do I use rxvt in conjuction with the cygwin do
> I need a switch for
> > > the batch file? If so what would that switch be? Or do I
> need to modify the
> > > batch file itself?
> >
> > If you search the email archives you should find numerous
> examples of
> > how people invoke rxvt.  I use a shortcut as follows:
> >
> > 	C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e bash --login
>
> I'm looking for sample cygwin.bat files.
> I tried a search of the archives, what a mistake, information
> overload.
> But after scanning several hundred messages, no samples.
>
> One thing I would like is to have a single cygwin.bat service multiple
> users with different shell preferences.  Currently I'm forcing ksh
> as follows:
>
>     $ cat /cygwin.bat
>     @echo off
>
>     C:
>     chdir \cygwin\bin
>
>     set SHELL=/bin/ksh
>
>     rxvt --loginShell -geometry 108x32 -fn 10x20 -sr +ut
>
> One thing I would like to do is replace "set SHELL=/bin/ksh" with
>
>     SHELL=$(grep "^${USER}:" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f7)
>     : ${SHELL:=/bin/ksh}
>
> Of course, that is shell programming, not windows batch file
> programming.
> I'm good at the former, not the latter :(
>
> Any suggestion for picking up the shell preference of the
> user invoking
> the cygwin.bat file?
How about:

------>8--------
@echo off

C:
chdir \cygwin\bin

rem set SHELL to user's shell (from /etc/passwd)
bash -c "echo -n 'set SHELL='> temp_setShellEnvVar.bat"
grep "^%USERNAME%:" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f7 >> temp_setShellEnvVar.bat
call temp_setShellEnvVar.bat
del temp_setShellEnvVar.bat

rxvt --loginShell -geometry 108x32 -fn 10x20 -sr +ut

(window's 'echo' is unable to write to a line without a crlf at the end, and
AFAIK, there's no backtick equivalent in batch programming)

Warm Regards,
Chris