Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: guile-1.5.6-3

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 03:48:38PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:

There is a patch pending to binutils that would allow this to work as-is. It seems to work okay, however, we're still waiting on Egor's legal paperwork -- an unfortunately, the only discussion has been between Egor and I; no other binutils-list readers have commented.

Should I make a "test" version of binutils available with Egor's patch?

Oh wait.  It needs a new version of cygwin1.dll first.  I guess we have
to release it as 1) cygwin and 2) binutils.

Err, not really.

I can test his patched binutils under stock 1.3.12-2. That is, I can build a library with struct FOO_struct my_array[]. I can successfully build a client that accesses my_array[3].bob, and the runtime pseudo-relocation works just fine.

As long as my client doesn't fork().

The reason for the cygwin patches, is so that the above works after a fork(), because the runtime pseudo-relocs have to be redone in the child. I think.

So, the worst that could happen if you release a patched binutils but not cygwin, is that
1) IF some one exercised this feature
2) and they fork()
3) then it will break.
But all existing working code will continue to work -- since with existing binutils we can't even LINK code that might exercise the feature.

So, worst case: some new code (that currently doesn't work) might continue to not work -- except right now it's a build error; it'll become a runtime error (but only in fork()ed children).

Right, Egor?

Anyway, I think you should go ahead with a test release of binutils *before* a new cygwin release.

--Chuck