Setup hanging while downloading

When I select "Download from the Internet" or "Install from the Internet"
and have a bunch of packages selected, Setup almost always seems to get hung
up while downloading one of the first few files, no matter what FTP or HTTP
mirror I try to use. (I haven't heard of any way to get setup.exe to use an
rsync mirror, or I'd try that.) I've tried at various times of day with no
difference.

Also please note that from my web browser or FTP I am able to download very
large files from any number of other sites.

I am using the recent v2.249.2.5 release of setup, but I also had problems
with the prior version hanging up within a couple of minutes after starting
a download.

The problem may very well have to do with momentary bandwidth limitations
somewhere on the net, perhaps even on our intranet--but why should that make
setup hang, instead of just waiting for the transfer to continue?

Thanks,

Galen