ftpd case sensitivity problem

Maybe it has been discussed before but I did not find any reference to it so
let's ask the question.
There is something I don't understand in the behaviour of ftpd that made me
point out another problem. I enabled anonymous access to my ftp server and
wanted to disable access by aprivileged user (that is to say authorize only
anonymous). To achieve this I filled my /etc/ftpusers with every users of
/etc/passwd.

The problem is that the check into ftpusers IS case sensitive whereas the
ftp access IS NOT case sensitive .. !!!

Here is an example:

ftpusers file content:
--------------------------------------
thomas
tlefeuvre
administrator
Administrator
guest
--------------------------------------

Test 1
--------------------------------------
$ftp localhost
Connected to lefeuvrewk2.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 lefeuvrewk2 FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (localhost:TLEFEUVRE): Administrator
530 User Administrator access denied.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
--------------------------------------

----> User Administrator can not log into the ftp server.

Test 2
--------------------------------------
$ftp localhost
Connected to lefeuvrewk2.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 lefeuvrewk2 FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (localhost:TLEFEUVRE): aDministrator
331 Password required for aDministrator.
Password:
230- Fanfare!!!
230- You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
230 User Administrator logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

----> User aDministrator CAN log into the ftp server !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this well known and the wanted behaviour ?

Thomas