Re: email harvesting (Was: typo correction)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:49:46AM -0700, Jehan wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:38:25PM +0000, g. bush wrote:
>>>(Using a throwaway account, because I think you post addresses
>>>to the web for spammers to harvest)
>>
>>You would think wrong then, bunkee.
>
>Why not? Nothing keep them from (1) registring to the mailing list or
>(2) parsing the archives (the encoding seems pretty straight forward) or
>(3) reading the gmane.os.cygwin newsgroup on news.gmane.org

I suppose that someone could also be going through your garbage looking
for words with "@" signs in them or tapping your phone.

Of course there are email harvesters out there.  Maybe gmane posts
unmunged addresses.  I don't know.  However gmane is not the people
running the mailing list.  It's a service run by another entity.  When
someone is addressing the "you" in the mailing list, I would assume that
he was talking to the people who actually run the mailing list.

The implication was that we put unmunged email headers "on the web",
which is not true.  Although it is possible for spammers to put
addresses back together again from the web format "foo at bar dot com" I
don't recall hearing about this being a common occurrence.

If a spammer is actually lurking in the mailing list, sending email to
people who post, I think I would have noticed.  And, that case isn't
"on the web" anyway.

cgf