Getting sshd Configured on Win2k Platform

We have researched all the sources of information We can find on setting
up sshd as a service, but still I'm not quite able to get it to function
properly. We have read the openssh README file by Corinna Vinschen and
the cygrunsrv.README file. We also did a search of the FAQ and the
mailist archives.

The goal of this effort is to have remote VPN access for a Windows user.
Using sshd for the encrypted link an TightVNC for the application
interface.

We are using openssh rev 3.4p1 on system, openssh rev 3.4p1-3 on the
Win2k Advanced Server system. Cygrunsrv is rev 0.95-1. All versions are
the latest available. We ran the ssh-host-config script taking the
defaults. We have checked the file permissions with a bash shell and the
security ACLs via the windows explorer. The service install, but will
not run and the application event view shows:
    The description for Event ID (0) in Source (sshd) cannot be found.
    The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
    or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
    following information is part of the event sshd: Win32 Process id =
    0x590: Cygwin Process id = 0x590: starting service 'sshd' failed:
    execv: 255, error 255.

The pop up dialog box error is:
    Could not start the CYGWIN sshd service on Local Computer.
    The service did not return an error. This could be an internal
    Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists,
    contact your system administrator.

If we install the service per the openssh README instructions as:
    cygrunsrv --install sshd -f "Secure Shell Daemon" -t auto \
	--path /usr/sbin/sshd --args -D

Then we are able to start the service and a:
    ssh sysname -l Administrator - successful
    ssh sysname                  - returns the following:
    Last login: Thu Jul 11 09:28:06 2002 from
    hemlock.highley-recommended.com
    Fanfare!!!
    You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
    setgid: Invalid argument
    Connection to redwood closed.

We have tried both discussed /etc/sshd_config file settings in the
openssh README file:
     RSAAuthentication yes
     RhostsAuthentication yes
     RhostsRSAAuthentication yes

     or

     PasswordAuthentication yes
     RhostsAuthentication no
     RhostsRSAAuthentication no
     RSAAuthentication no           or  RSAAuthentication yes

In reading the openssh README file it talks about having the service run
as a user and to modify the Local Security Settings. We see that the
ssh-host-config added a user sshd to the /etc/passwd file, but did not
add user flags nor modify the Local Security Settings.

Sorry for the length of this message, but we are trying to understand
what the recipe is for getting this to work. Has someone set this up and
defined the process for installing it? Another question is if we use the
second sshd_config file settings with "PasswordAuthentication yes" will
we have an encrypted VPN link?

--

Regards,

David Highley		      Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.	FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street	      Email: dhighley@highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732	WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com