Re: cygwin access from outside cygwin -- How to do it?

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:16:30PM -0700, Dennis Allison wrote:
>Here's the situation.  I am running Smalltalk on Win2K.  The Smalltalk
>program needs to invoke latex running under cygwin.  We have it set up
>so the Win3SystemSupport package provides a command line interface into
>Win2K.
>
>What I want to do is invoke a complex of perl scripts and programs
>which currently live (and work!) under cygwin--that is, I can go into
>the cygwin shell and run the stuff.  However, from Smalltalk, the
>command line interface can't seem to find perl or any of the other
>programs.
>
>Clearly there is something failing in the path resolution! I'd
>appreciate some help (or hints or words of wisdom) identifying what to
>do next to get the systems to communicate.  How does one expose the
>cygwin command line interfact in the Win2K environment?  Maybe I should
>start with cygwin.bat?

Cygwin uses the path just like any windows program.  Set the path under
Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment Variables->System Variables
to include c:\cygwin\bin (or whereever you have cygwin installed).

Then you'll be able to run cygwin programs without starting cygwin.bat.
cygwin.bat is just a convenience to give you a bash shell.  You don't
have to use it.

cgf