Re: Available for test: gcc-3.1.1-2 gcc2-2.95.3-8

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:50:05PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:

g++ -mno-cygwin works

Actually, this fails for me, for some reason.

Hmm...

I don't think that g77 -mno-cygwin ever worked before, AFAICT.

Perhaps not -- I was just being thorough.

 I guess
it should.  So, I give up.  The next version of gcc2 will have mingw
libraries for libg2c-2.a and libstdc++-2.a.

Cool.

gcc2 is supposed to be going away someday (soon).

As long as there are (supported) C++ libraries that use the 2.95.3 ABI, we'll need gcc2. E.g. libncurses6++, and the others that were mentioned onlist, unless gcc-3.1.1 goes gold before they do.

I am just trying to
repackage it so that people aren't left with problems in the short term.

Right, good, good...

It's a royal pain to support this. Once gcc2 seems as stable as
2.95.3-5 used to be, that will be it for any further releases.

Absolutely.

I'm not
going to complicate the process by adding extra packages.

Oh, okay -- if you're going to add the mingw libs directly into gcc2, that'll work. And, since gcc2 will be effectively frozen, hopefully maintainance will drop to practically nil, so might as well anticipate things now...

I know that Danny will be coming out with new 3.1 versions of gcc for
mingw and that they will not be tied in any way to my gcc releases, so I
thought it prudent to split the mingw stuff out so that I wouldn't have
to respin the whole, huge gcc 3.1.1 package.

I understand.

 I don't have to do that
for 2.95.3.  It's not going anywhere.  I doubt that Danny will be
making future releases or I'll be building mingw gcc's myself.

Right.

The 2.95.3-* version of libgcc.a is mingw compatible.  I went to some
pains to ensure that.

Nifty keen.

'Course, for my cygwin-host, mingw-target cross compiler, I'll need to respin
it so that it coexists with the official gcc and gcc2 and gcc-mingw packages...sigh.

Say, where do you change gcc(2.95.3) so that g++-2 links against libstdc++-2.a instead of libstdc++.a? (Ditto g77). It doesn't seem to be in the specs file, so I dunno WHERE that is done...

--Chuck