Re: Getting sshd Configured on Win2k Platform

"dhighley wrote:"
>From dhighley Thu Jul 11 15:58:18 2002
Subject: Re: Getting sshd Configured on Win2k Platform
To: maharig@idirect.net (Harig, Mark A.)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

It is working now and from the replies we found two things to fix.

"Harig, Mark A. wrote:"

> 1. Which filesystem are you running on your disk(s): FAT32 or NTFS?
>
> 2. If you are running NTFS, then you need to specify '-e "CYGWIN=ntsec"'
> to cygrunsrv.

We think there are missing single quotes in the ssh-host-config script.
When the environment parameter is done as in the script:
    -e "CYGWIN=binmode ntsec tty" variables expanded here
the service will not start. If we do the following:
    -e '"CYGWIN=binmode ntsec tty"'
the service will start and different users can login. We also found that
a /etc/group entry was missing which was causing the setgid problem.

> 3. What are the permissions of the directory /home/Administrator?
>
> 4. Once you get the sshd running, before attempting to ssh to the sshd
> remotely, you should try to ssh locally (i.e., run the ssh client on the
> machine that is running sshd).

We also ran snoop to verify the we have the communication link
encrypted an no information is leaking. For /etc/sshd_config we ended up
with:
     RSAAuthentication yes
     RhostsAuthentication yes
     RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
     PasswordAuthentication yes

We did add ssh to the ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/services file.
We did not make any modifications to the Local Security Settings as
discussed in the openssh README file.

--

Regards,

David Highley		      Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.	FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street	      Email: dhighley@highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732	WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com