Re: Another failure to get telnet/inetd to work in 1.3.12

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:55:50PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> I know others have had problems with this but I think I understand how
> it's supposed to work fairly well and it has been working for me for
> quite some time. Recently it has broken.
>
> I cannot telnet into my own XP box with Cygwin 1.3.12. I have inetd set
> up properly, I have CYGWIN set to ntsec in my Windows System
> Environment. I have Cygwin's bin in my PATH in my Windows System
> Environment and I have rebooted to ensure that these changes have been
> made effective. Inetd starts as a service and all of this has worked
> before flawlessly. In fact, my Windows XP box at home works OK.
>
> When telnet is attempted when inetd is running as a service I get
> connection refused. I also get connection refused for rlogin, ftp, etc.

Check your /etc/group.  Does the gid given in your /etc/passwd
file have a valid entry in /etc/group?

> If I stop the inetd service and run inetd -d at a command line then
> everything works (with the curious exception that telnet does not prompt
> for a username but otherwise works).

No user context switch.  Everythings fine.

> inetd : Win32 Process Id = 0xA1C : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA1C : ssh/tcp:
> unknown service.

You have an ssh entry in /etc/inetd.conf but not in your systems
services file.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.