Re: Available for test: gcc-3.1.1-2 gcc2-2.95.3-8

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 11:30:54AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:

>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>I'll look for it -- it's not in my "normal" sources, so I guess normal
>>>sources use a default definition from somewhere else.  I'll download
>>>your gcc2-src package and use that...
>>>

>>The gcc-2.95.3 that I distribute has a lot of gcc/mingw changes.  Many
>>of them come from Mumit.  So, if you grab "my" package you get something
>>that is different from the sources at gcc.gnu.org.
>>

>Well, I guess "normal" wasn't the correct term.  I'm using Danny's
>gcc-2.95.3 -src package from mingw.org (seemed appropriate since I was
>building a mingw-target compiler).
>
>I'm unsure how large the differences are between your version and
>Danny's (of 2.95.3).  I guess I'll find out...

They should be pretty close except for some cygwin additions, I would think.

In the future they should be based on the same code base so they should
only differ by release date.

>>>Ah.  But if you munge the filenames at install time, then don't stage2
>>>and stage3 break?
>>>

>>I copy around stuff by hand for the first stage (building the cross
>>compiler).  I don't build a native compiler first, so there are only
>>two stages.
>>
>>And, yes, copying stuff around by hand is a real pain...
>
>As in, "a PITA to maintain".  Hopefully, gcc2 will be a "release and
>forget" package.

That's been my assumption.  If I have to do this too often, I'm going
to have to find some way of automating it, that's for sure.

cgf