Re: cygwin not respecting --without-newlib?

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 01:30:20PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 12:09:09AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >OK; I'm not sure this helps me. :-)
>> >
>> >Suppose you're building a combined tree targeting Cygwin.  What should
>> >it mean to specify --without-newlib?
>> >
>> >Should it mean "Don't build or use the newlib in the tree: use the
>> >preinstalled Cygwin libraries, or the ones I specified with --with-libs
>> >and --with-headers"?
>> >
>> >Should it simply be illegal, and result in an error message?
>>
>> If there is a newlib in the tree, cygwin will attempt to use it.  Hence,
>> --without-newlib should be illegal for a cygwin target.
>>
>> cgf
>What if you're not building winsup, but are building gcc (or gdb, or
>libstdc++-v3, etc.) for a cygwin target?  Is this even possible?

Yes.  I guess in that case, if there is no winsup directory but there is a
newlib directory, then --without-newlib could make sense.  That's probably
a pretty unusual situation, but you do have to account for it.

It might make sense to have a --without-winsup which implied --without-newlib.
--without-winsup would eliminate any *-target-winsup considerations.

So, I'd propose

1) Specified --without-winsup?
   If yes then turn off winsup and newlib

2) Specified --without-newlib?
   If yes, check for existence of winsup and, if it exists, issue
   error suggsting --without-winsup.
   Otherwise, remove *-target-newlib from consideration.

cgf