Re: cygwin not respecting --without-newlib?

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 01:30:20PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> it
> always

> should

> --with-libs

> >> If there is a newlib in the tree, cygwin will attempt to use it.
> Hence,
> >> --without-newlib should be illegal for a cygwin target.
> >>
> >> cgf
> >What if you're not building winsup, but are building gcc (or gdb, or
> >libstdc++-v3, etc.) for a cygwin target?  Is this even possible?
>
> Yes.  I guess in that case, if there is no winsup directory but there is
> newlib directory, then --without-newlib could make sense.  That's
> probably
> a pretty unusual situation, but you do have to account for it.
>
> It might make sense to have a --without-winsup which implied
> --without-newlib.
> --without-winsup would eliminate any *-target-winsup considerations.
>
> So, I'd propose
>
> 1) Specified --without-winsup?
>    If yes then turn off winsup and newlib
>
> 2) Specified --without-newlib?
>    If yes, check for existence of winsup and, if it exists, issue
>    error suggsting --without-winsup.
>    Otherwise, remove *-target-newlib from consideration.

A small request, can we considier dropping the i686-pc-cygwin directory as
default for "native" builds of the winsup CVS module?  IMHO, 'make
install' should put everything into a single set of directories under a
prefix specified by the --prefix= option.  As it currently stands, cygwin
stuff is dumped in $PREFIX, while newlib/mingw/w32api stuff is dumped in
$PREFIX/i686-pc-cygwin.  Perhaps there once was a reason for this, but
currently I see none.  On a side note, it would be nice if 'make install'
would honor the $DESTDIR variable when it is passed at runtime.  Other
then those two gnits, thank you for taking the time to clean up the
scripts (so far it is looking real good!).

Cheers,
Nichola