Re: Permission denied on a windows share

Randall R Schulz wrote:
One thing is certain, Cygwin cannot override Windows permissions. If you can read (or write or remove, etc.) the file from a Cygwin application, you can read (write, remove) it from a Windows native app. I'm not certain the reverse is true, however.
Obviously it isn't since I can modify a file with Notepad but I can't modify the same file with Cygwin. The question is why. Cygwin seems to check if me (local user jehan) has write access to the file (the answer is no, a local user can't exists on a domain anyway, it's the other me (domain user jehan) that has write access). But why does cygwin check that, why doesn't it leave it to Windows to verify the permissions?

Sorry to equivocate so, but since you seemed a little desperate, I figured I'd try to help.
Not desperate. Frustrated more likely. You see, I'm jongling between a Unix box (where my account is) and Windows. So there are files I share between the two (like the .bashrc, .ssh and the like). And not being able to write to those files can be annoying.

Jehan