Re: Permission denied on a windows share

Randall R Schulz wrote:
The reason is the mapping between Cygwin's Unix / POSIX permissions and Windows is not reversible. Windows permissions are far more refined, so it is inevitable that in at least one case (in reality, many cases), there are multiple distinct Windows permissions that map to a single Cygwin / Unix / POSIX file "mode."
And? I don't understand the point. All that tells me is that "ls -l" may not show the real permissions because Windows persmissions doesn't always map to Unix/POSIX. That's fine with me. That would be the explanation for an application failing when it checks explicitly for permissions. But I don't think "cat" and "cp" do any permissions checking, they fully rely on the underlying system for that.

What I don't understand is why cygwin doesn't rely on Windows. For what I know of ntsec, it sets the permissions/ownership of files. It also read them so "ls -l" show correct permissions (as much as possible knowing that not all Windows permissions map to Unix).
But once their are set, then Windows should be able to take care of denying/allowing access accordingly. Why would cygwin need to do more security checking than Windows does? Why would cygwin deny me write access to a file when I can do it with any other Windows application?

Cygwin will "leave it to Windows" if you turn of "ntsec" and / or "ntea."
I know, it used to be that way. But then I don't see what file belong to who and what I am allowed to do.

Jehan