Re: Permission denied on a windows share

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 10:44:58AM -0700, Jehan wrote:
> What I don't understand is why cygwin doesn't rely on Windows. For what

It should.

> I know of ntsec, it sets the permissions/ownership of files. It also
> read them so "ls -l" show correct permissions (as much as possible
> knowing that not all Windows permissions map to Unix).
> But once their are set, then Windows should be able to take care of
> denying/allowing access accordingly. Why would cygwin need to do more
> security checking than Windows does? Why would cygwin deny me write
> access to a file when I can do it with any other Windows application?

It shouldn't.  If the situation is *actually* as you describe it,
then there's a bug in Cygwin.  However, this requires some debugging
in the environment in which this happens... yours.  Perhaps an strace
of the failing call helps.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.