Re: Permission denied on a windows share

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:08:34AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> On Saturday 13 Jul 02, Jehan writes:
> > Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > One thing is certain, Cygwin cannot override Windows permissions. If you
> > > can read (or write or remove, etc.) the file from a Cygwin application,
> > > you can read (write, remove) it from a Windows native app. I'm not
> > > certain the reverse is true, however.
> >
> > Obviously it isn't since I can modify a file with Notepad but I can't
> > modify the same file with Cygwin. The question is why.
>
> I believe that windows will automatically attempt to "authenticate" as
> the domain user using your existing username/password.  Apparently,
> Cygwin doesn't do this.

I don't believe that's correct.  If you're running in a local session
the applications don't have to care for authentication agains the
file server.  That's done automatically in Windows (as long as the
credentials are ok to access the share).  From that point of view,
any Cygwin application is not different from any native Windows app.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.