RE: gzip.exe as symlink...

> From: Nicholas Wourms [mailto:nwourms@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: gzip.exe as symlink...
> --- Jon Cast <jcast@ou.edu> wrote:
> > Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'd never thought about it - why would anyone care which is the real
> > > file?
> >
> > If they have to use any program not linked with cygwin1.dll.
> You should be using vi & bash, then you wouldn't have all
> these "issues".
 bash has nothing to do with this issue.  Use of "vi" will have the same
issue as "emacs". i.e., unless you use a cygwin version it will not
recognize cygwin links.  Some people like to use NTEmacs because it has some
features not available in cygwin XEmacs.  I don't know if there's an NTvi
with features not present in cygwin vi -- I've never used vi.  In fact I've
never met anybody who's used vi more than casually, although I hear it's
popular in some circles.
 In any case there's no need to learn an obscure editor just to read
compressed files.   (setq jka-compr-use-shell t)  will force the compression
code to use a shell (defaults to "sh") instead of "call-process". Use of a
cygwin shell is of course required.
 One could also dispense with the use of links altogether. gzip.exe is only
60K.