RE: Cygwin is SLOW

Ok, maybe my English was bad enough to confuse you about my question.
I meant "why is there a so big difference between executing one script (say
the fast one) on a distant file and on a local file ?",
the path to chmod.exe being the same for both execution (am I wrong ?).
I quoted my results and drop other stuff.

>> I've tried both slow and fast perl scripts on my machine (AMD XP1700,
W2K)

>> If  test.file is on a local directory
>>
>> $ perl fastchm.pl
>> 2923.6 chmods per sec
>>
>> if test.file is on a mounted directory (through a symlink)
>>
>> $ perl fastchm.pl
>> 143 chmods per sec
>>
>> Could anyone explain the performance ratio for both scripts ???

[SNIP]

>> I got a wider gap for small c program opening and closing about 650 files
>> It takes 0.750 s for local files and about 2 s for distant files
>> On the linux machine, it's just 0.1 s for distant files...
>>
>> Is the _open() routine guilty ?
>> Is it linked to the unix AND dos path compatibility ?
>> Anyone as a hint to speed this up ?

I noticed you mentionned the influence of the PATH length upon the global
performance
and I keep invastigating... (path convertion routine)