Re: New setup pre-release - feedback needed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter A. Castro" <doctor@fruitbat.org>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 5:15 PM

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > We're coming up on a new release of setup.exe, with a number of user
> > interface enhancements to make it more obvious what setup is doing when
it
> > 'pauses'.
>
> While I do like the status of knowing just what setup is scanning as part
> of the package loading process, it now takes much, much longer to load
> from an "Install from Local Directory" scenario :-) (up from 5 seconds to
> about 1 minute, 45 seconds).  It's a kind of a rare scenario (I'm
> probably one of the few who keeps a full downloaded image of all of
> cygwin (kinda like a mirror site)), and it's not like I run setup more
> than once every few days, so it's an adequate trade-off for more status
> on the package load.

This is actually the MD5 checking, not the feedback. (I implemented the
feedback so that we won't get 'setup takes forever on local installs' :} ).

> > It *should* be bug free, although there may be a minor bug with
> > autodetection of upgrades (we have one report, but no debugging info).
>
> I did some test installs and re/de-installs and it appears to work well.
> The only thing I did notice was that during the actual package
> installation part, the Progress bar is showing "full" when it's installed
> only about 3/4ths of the files from the package.  I noticed this more
> with source packages than binaries, but did see it a few times with some
> binary-only package installs.  It's really just a cosmetic thing and
> didn't seem to effect the actual installation.  I view it as a reversal
> of the old '98% finished' phenomenon :-)

Hmm. Thats strange - I suspect it's a race of some sort with the gui updates
(we have two threads for blocking IO operations - one to do the UI, one to
do the IO.) Nothing much has changed there, which is why it's strange.

Thanks for the feedback,
Rob